December 14, 2011

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - End Game

Who would have thunk that running a massive empire all by yourself would have been so tedious?  With only one action per state per month, just recovering from a battle can take up to six months.  Hrmm.  Which is probably fairly realistic, so what am I complaining about.  I have to put up with enough complaining just from my advisors.

Well, I suppose I could work on my
belligerent-advisor-beheading list.

The two-front war I ended off on was a mixed bag.  The battles in the north went well enough but Sun Quan stopped me dead in my tracks right from the start.  I left him well enough alone and redoubled my efforts to take the north quickly.  Yuan Shao revealed his lack of true imperial blood as his states fell before the Cao hordes.  By 211, all the north belonged to the Cao clan and an intense period of fortifications took place.

Oh yeah, and I got around to
taking 32 from Sun Quan.

After gaining all these new territories, generals were running short on supplies as well as new recruits.  The newly acquired lands had already had the majority of their peasants turned into soldiers which now lay freshly slaughtered in the fields and rivers.  This resulted in a long period of uneasy peace as generals were shifted from the front to the interior of Wei to gather troops and weapons.  Captured generals also had to be showered with gold to get their loyalty up but for some reason they would never take more than one thousand golds at a time (taking about three installments to gain full loyalty).  I suppose this was to represent that it takes time to gain their loyalty, especially just after slaughtering their master.  There was no aggression on behalf of any of the other nations and after all the armies had been repopulated, the conquest begun anew, this time at the eastern and western edges of the mainland.  Though the opposing forces were no match for the superior Wei, they did manage to drag out battles by relying solely on setting their own lands ablaze.

The fire tactic I had so much fun with in the early game quickly became a nuisance after every single state ruler employed it constantly.  This results in a lot of moving around to non-burning territory as the ruler hides in his castle, quite safe from all the flames (except in very rare cases).  I stopped using fire altogether because in every fight I knew I was going to get ass-buckets of it soon enough.

Yeah, alright then.
Oh geez, come on.
COME AWWWWN!

You see the little white sack in the bottom left corner of the last pic?  That's the entire army's rice supply ON FUCKING FIRE.  I mean, there's flames burning up the entire countryside and walls of fire all around the castle and their every action is to add more fire?!  Luckily there comes a point where it becomes much harder to set an initial blaze.  This doesn't stop the bloody pyromaniacs from trying every single round regardless of how many times they fail.  Whatever, they all fell to Nung, er, I mean Cao.  After completing the initial goal of conquering 40 states, the game tries to egg me on to take over all of China but I've my fill of fire, thanks.